A permanent injury can be life-changing. If you’ve been involved in an accident and have suffered a permanent injury you may be wondering what’s next. What happens after a permanent, irreversible injury? Do you need to hire an Arizona catastrophic injury attorney to get compensation?

Proving Permanent Injury After An Accident

Permanent injury after an accident is usually determined by your doctor and your medical records. Your doctor will determine when you reach “Maximum Medical Improvement.” This is the point at which your condition has stabilized, and your condition is not expected to improve with additional time or medical treatments.

If you are not completely healed, this means that you have suffered a permanent injury. Doctors determine the extent of impairment using the AMA (American Medical Association) Guide of the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment. Depending on the extent of your injuries, you may be determined to be permanently totally disabled or permanently partially disabled. 

How Permanent Injuries Affect Your Life

Permanent injuries can impair your ability to live the life you enjoyed before an accident. Depending on the extent of your injuries, a permanent injury may result in high medical bills, an inability to work, difficulty enjoying hobbies and recreational activities, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), an inability to participate in family life, and much more.

Options For Compensation After Permanent Injury

There are a variety of ways that you may be able to get compensation after a permanent injury that results in a disability. The specifics of the injury and your case will determine what you qualify for.

  • Workers’ compensation – If you are injured at work, you will be compensated by workers’ compensation. In Arizona, workers’ compensation is the exclusive remedy for injuries or death of an employee, meaning a personal injury suit cannot be pursued for a workplace accident.

  • Disability insurance – If you have a personal disability insurance policy or a disability policy through your employer, you may receive compensation for your injuries. Unlike workers’ compensation, this also covers injuries experienced outside of work.

  • Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) – Even if you do not have a disability policy with an insurer, you may qualify for SSDI if you meet certain work credit requirements.

  • Personal injury claims – It may be possible to pursue a personal injury claim against the responsible person and/or their insurer. For example, if you’re injured by a drunk driver, you can sue the driver and their insurance company for further compensation for your permanent injuries and disability. 

Get The Compensation You Deserve After A Permanent Injury

It can be difficult to understand the compensation you are entitled to after a permanent injury. That is why you need an Arizona catastrophic injury attorney. At The Checkett Law Firm, we can help you get the compensation you deserve.

We specialize in traumatic and catastrophic injury cases that require expert legal advice and representation. If you have experienced a permanent injury in Arizona, contact us now for a case review, and start exploring your options for compensation.

No items found.
get to know us
keep reaDING